Champions League: Christian Eriksen keeps Tottenham’s qualification hopes alive
Danish star scores vital winner against Inter Milan at Wembley Stadium
Tottenham 1 Inter Milan 0
A goal from Christian Eriksen ten minutes from time kept alive Tottenham’s hopes of reaching the knockout stage of the Champions League.
Requiring a win against Inter Milan at Wembley last night, Spurs had the Dane to thank as he came off the bench and scored at the far post after assists from Moussa Sissoko and Dele Alli.
The victory means Tottenham and Inter are level on seven points and have the same goal difference. Inter host PSV Eindhoven in the final game while Spurs travel to group B leaders Barcelona.
If Spurs want to qualify they must beat Barcelona or failing that match Inter’s result against PSV. The final group games are on 11 December.
Barca or bust
“Now we are in a situation that depends on us,” said Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino of the trip to the Camp Nou.
“If we can win in Barcelona we can progress to the next stage. Of course it is going to be very difficult. We have to stay humble and try to improve. All is possible in football.
“We have big respect for Barcelona. They are one of the best teams in Europe and have unbelievable players. It will be so tough. But one thing we have is belief and faith that we can win.”
Results and fixtures
Matchday five results
- Group A: Atletico Madrid 2 Monaco 0; Borussia Dortmund 0 Club Brugge 0
- Group B: PSV Eindhoven 1 Barcelona 2; Tottenham Hotspur 1 Inter Milan 0
- Group C: Napoli 3 Red Star Belgrade 1; Paris Saint-Germain 2 Liverpool 1
- Group D: Lokomotiv Moscow 2 Galatasaray 0; Porto 3 Schalke 04 1
- Group E: AEK Athens 0 Ajax 2; Bayern Munich 5 Benfica 1
- Group F: Lyon 2 Manchester City 2; Hoffenheim 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 3
- Group G: CSKA Moscow 1 Viktoria Plzen 2; Roma 0 Real Madrid 2
- Group H: Juventus 1 Valencia 0; Manchester United 1 Young Boys 0
Matchday six fixtures Tuesday 11 December
- Group A: Club Brugge vs. Atletico Madrid; Monaco vs. Borussia Dortmund
- Group B: Barcelona vs. Tottenham Hotspur; Inter Milan vs. PSV Eindhoven
- Group C: Red Star Belgrade vs. Paris Saint-Germain; Liverpool vs. Napoli
- Group D: Schalke 04 vs. Lokomotiv Moscow; Galatasaray vs. Porto
Wednesday 12 December
- Group E: Ajax vs. Bayern Munich; Benfica vs. AEK Athens
- Group F: Manchester City vs. Hoffenheim; Shakhtar Donetsk vs. Lyon
- Group G: Real Madrid vs. CSKA Moscow; Viktoria Plzen vs. Roma
- Group H: Valencia vs. Manchester United; Young Boys vs. Juventus