In Depth

Chelsea transfer news: Conte 'eyeing up Sergio Aguero to replace Diego Costa'

Blues are first in line for a summer move if Spanish striker wants out of Real Madrid - latest Chelsea transfer news and gossip

Chelsea transfer news: Could Joe Hart be headed for Stamford Bridge?

3 October

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has been spotted at Torino’s match with Fiorentina and that has sparked speculation he was looking at England goalkeeper Joe Hart.

Hart, who has lost his place at Manchester City, is currently on loan with Torino and could be an option for Conte, according to Goal.com. Conte is disappointed with Chelsea’s inconsistent start to the season and current No 1 Thibaut Courtois has failed to impress.

Goal.com. does acknowledge Conte could have been looking at other players and says Torino striker Andrea Belotti and his Fiorentina counterpart Nikola Kalinic were also hoping to impress the manager, who may look to reinforce his forward line despite Diego Costa's fine form this season.

Courtois, meanwhile, has played down reports that he wants to return to Spain, according to the Daily Mirror.

He said last month that one day he would like to go back to the country where he enjoyed three very successful seasons with Atletico Madrid.

Courtois said: “I just meant that I want to return to Spain one day but it can also be after my career.

“I’m happy to be at Chelsea. For how long, we will see. But now I want to win prizes with this club.”

Conte has been told he can splash the cash and rebuild Chelsea.

The Daily Star says he will be handed a £100m transfer kitty next year - and that could spell the end for several big name players.

The Star says the likes of Gary Cahill, Oscar, Branislav Ivanovic, Nemanja Matic and Cesc Fabregas could all leave Stamford Bridge.

There are, apparently, even doubts about Brazil midfielder Willian, Chelsea’s best player by a distance last season. The Star says he rarely delivers when needed and Conte wants him to score more goals from open play, although he did just that during Saturday’s 2-0 victory at Hull.

On the Italian’s shopping list are PSG’s Argentina striker Javier Pastore, 27, and Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucc, says The Star.

Chelsea have already had a £50m bid for the centre-back rejected.

Chelsea transfer news: Chelsea reignite pursuit of AC Milan's Alessio Romagnoli

30 September

Chelsea "will reignite their pursuit" of AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli in January, Talksport says. Taking Quotidiano Sportivo as its source, the British broadcaster says that Antonio Conte made an unsuccessful attempt to prise his compatriot from the San Siro during the summer and ended up taking David Luiz as a stop-gap measure.

But given Chelsea's stuttering start to the season AC Milan are "bracing themselves for more interest" in the New Year. The word on the Italian street is that they will listen to offers for the 21-year-old defender, provided they are in excess of £43million.

Five players are facing the axe at Chelsea, claims the Sun, with the paper saying Conte is ready to get ruthless with his under-performing squad. Apparently the Italian is"disheartened by his team’s start to the season" and also by the alleged indifference of the Stamford Bridge hierarchy to help him sign other key targets. The summer arrivals of David Luiz and Marcos Alonso were both born of frustration and Conte is preparing to tell Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich that the "squad needs to be torn down to its foundations and rebuilt".

As part of that massive reconstruction programme he's going to offload Nemanja Matic, Branislav Ivanovic, Cesc Fabregas, Oscar and Gary Cahill in the New Year. Two months of the new season has shown Conte that the failing five haven't got what it takes to thrive at the Bridge and they'll be put on the transfer market in January.

Chelsea transfer news: Alvaro Morata back on the hit-list

29 September

The Blues haven't given up the chase for Alvaro Morata, according to the Daily Express, which cites Spanish media sources for its story.

Chelsea and Arsenal both made enquiries over the summer for the 23-year-old, but in the end Morata rejoined Real from Juventus after the European champions activated their buy-back clause.

But according to the Express, Morata is unsettled at the Bernabeu after falling "behind Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale in the pecking order".

Coach Zinedine Zidane's lack of faith in Morata's goalscoring skills has given a window of opportunity to Chelsea. Antonio Conte is known to be an admirer, and the Express says he will "keep an eye on Morata" between now and the January transfer window.

In an interview earlier this month with German paper Sport Bild, Morata said the Blues had come calling in the summer: "Chelsea showed the most interest," he explained. "Antonio Conte had already signed me for Juventus. And it was a very good offer this time. I would have been the most expensive Spanish player ever."

Chelsea transfer news: Conte 'ready to sell Oscar for £39m'

28 September

All the Chelsea transfer talk in recent days has been about which players Antonio Conte will look to bring in to reshape the Blues in January.

But according to the Daily Star, one Chelsea player likely to be heading in the other direction in the New Year is Oscar. AC Milan "are plotting a £39m bid" for the Brazil international, the paper reports.

Speculation about the playmaker's future first emerged in the summer, but Oscar remained at the Bridge and has started five of the Blues' six Premier League games under Conte.

Now Talksport, quoting Italian outlet Calciomercato, says that Conte is ready to release Oscar because he doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 formation he wishes to adopt. But it will cost AC Milan, with claims that Chelsea will demand £39m in return for their South American. That will be no problem for the Italians, who are rolling in cash since their purchase by a wealthy Chinese consortium earlier this year.

The Guardian reports that Chelsea target Michael Keane has insisted he's happy at Burnley and has no plans to move. Reports earlier in the week suggested Conte had added the defender to his New Year shopping list and was ready to table a "£25m offer for a player sold by Manchester United for £2m only last year".

But Keane, who scored in Burnley's 2-0 defeat of Watford on Monday night, had this message for the Blues: "I am really happy here. The fans have been brilliant with me here, as have the manager and players. It's great when teams like that come in but I am quite happy."

Chelsea transfer news: Shock return to the Premier League for Angel Di Maria?

27 September

With Chelsea in desperate need of divine intervention it's reported that Angel Di Maria could be ready to wing his way over the Channel from Paris Saint-Germain and make a shock return to the Premier League. 

The former Manchester United midfielder spent a miserable season at Old Trafford in 2014-15 before signing for the French champions. However, since Unai Emery replaced Laurent Blance as coach during the summer, Di Maria is allegedly looking for a way out of the club and Talksport say Chelsea are "interested in landing the Argentina international". The 28-year-old has attracted the interest of several European clubs but Di Maria feels there is unfinished business in England and that's why the Blues are top of his wishlist.

Elsewhere and ESPN report that Chelsea are "weighing up a move for Tottenham defender Ben Davies in January". The 3-0 defeat to Arsenal at the weekend was the last straw for Antonio Conte and that's why he's honed in on Davies. The 23-year-old is struggling for game time at White Hart Lane after slipping behind Danny Rose in the pecking order and ESPN claim that the versatility of Davies - a key member of the Wales team that reached the semifinals of Euro 2016 - has attracted Conte.

Then again, the Mirror claims that it's actually Burnley defender Michael Keane who is on Chelsea's radar. Apparently the club "are prepared to pay up to £25million" for the 23-year-old who has been in solid form so far this season. Leicester tried and failed to land Keane in the summer but the Mirror says Chelsea "have made a preliminary enquiry" about Keane, and are ready to table a bid £10m more than that of the Foxes.

Chelsea transfer news: West Ham look to help Cesc Fabregas escape from Stamford Bridge 

26 September

West Ham could be ready to help Cesc Fabregas escape from Stamford Bridge, writes the Mirror.

Speculation continues to grow that the Spanish playmaker will be released in the New Year as Antonio Conte embarks on a rebuilding programme at the Blues. Saturday's 3-0 defeat to Arsenal was further proof that the squad Conte inherited in the summer is stale, and several players are likely to be offloaded at the start of 2017. Chief among them will be Fabregas and according to the Mirror the Hammers are "keeping the former Barca star's situation under review". West Ham have also been struggling in the first few weeks of the season and Fabregas is wanted to give some steel to a midfield that has looked increasingly fragile.

Meanwhile the Sunday People reports that Chelsea's hopes of landing Stefan de Vrij are fading faster than Gary Cahill's reputation. Conte had added the 24-year-old Dutchman to his January shopping list but the People claims that Lazio have "slapped a £50million price-tag" on de Vrij.

Cahill's latest blunder gifted Arsenal one of their three goals on Saturday and Conte is desperate for some reliability in his back four. Having failed to sign Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli he had hoped to lure de Vrij to the Bridge but that now looks a forlorn hope given Lazio's asking price.

Finally caughtoffside claim that Chelsea and Manchester City are "set to face off" in a fight for Juventus and Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci. Priced at £50m, the 29-year-old blocker was linked with a move to the Premier League over the summer but while he remains in Turin for the moment the Star says he's considering his options for next year. City see Bonucci as the ideal replacement for the injury-prone Vincent Kompany while Conte is after anyone who knows how to defender.

Chelsea transfer news: Is Thibaut Courtois heading to Real Madrid?

22 September

The fate of Thibaut Courtois may be out of the goalkeeper's hands, reports the Evening Standard, in the latest twist to the transfer saga of the Belgian Blue.

Earlier in the week Courtois declared his love for Spain, prompting an angry response from Chelsea fans who believe he's angling for a move to Real Madrid. But according to the Standard Real are actually after Manchester United shot stopper David De Gea and he is their number one priority.

According to Spanish newspaper Marca the European champions believe that United could be tempted by a big-money offer in the summer and they will only look at Courtois if they fail to land De Gea. But even then, says the Standard, Courtois' £73million is too high, and what may unfold over the coming months "is an intriguing game of cat and mouse".

Elsewhere and West London Sport claim that Chelsea are among a number of clubs keeping tabs on Atalanta midfielder Franck Kessie. The Ivory Coast international is just 19 but has already made a name for himself playing for the Italian outfit, and according to West London Sport Chelsea scouts flew to Italy on Wednesday to watch the teenage playmaker in action for Atalanta against Palermo.

Chelsea transfer news: Thibaut Courtois angers fans with exit talk

21 September

Thibaut Courtois has confirmed that he wants to return to Spain, The Sun reports.

The Belgian keeper spent three years on loan at Atletico Madrid, where he won a La Liga title and played in a Champions League final before returning to Chelsea, the club he signed for in 2011 from Genk.

In recent months speculation has been growing that the gloveman is pining for Spain, and the arrival of new manager, Antonio Conte, has done little to quash the rumours.

"When I left Spain, I knew that I would return one day," he said. Asked if he was thinking of moving in the next 12 months Courtois replied: "I have a contract with Chelsea for the next three seasons... I'll evaluate whether it makes more sense to stay or to go."

The Belgian's words have not been well received in London. Metro reports that in the light of his comments to Spanish paper Marca, "fans took to social media today to urge Courtois to leave the club", with many saying he clearly had no love for the Blues.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail reports that John Mikel Obi has admitted his 11-year stay at the Bridge could soon be at an end. The Nigerian midfielder has not featured under Antonio Conte so far this season, following the summer signing of N'Golo Kante.

Asked about his plans, Mikel Obi replied: "When you have a year left, in January you are allowed to talk to other clubs and sign a pre-contract or have an agreement so, yes, I will talk to other clubs because you never know what is going to happen."

As to where he might head in the New Year, the player said: "There will be options. If it is China or some other places, we will see. One thing is for sure, I will make the best decision."

Chelsea transfer news: Conte target Kalidou Koulibaly commits to Napoli

20 September

Bad news for the Blues with the news that Kalidou Koulibaly has committed his future to Napoli until 2021. Chelsea were linked with a move for the 25-year-old defender last month and even though nothing happened before Deadline Day recent reports suggested that manager Antonio Conte was intending to have another crack at Koulibaly in January, particularly as the defender had intimated he was favourable to a move to Stamford Bridge. But goal.com reports that Napoli have tied the Senegal international down to a long term deal with president Aurelio De Laurentiis taking to twitter to brag about the deal. "I am happy to announce that Kalidou Koulibaly has renewed his contract with Napoli until 2021," declared De Laurentiis.

The Daily Express also carries news of Koulibaly's extension and claims that "there are reports that his new deal includes a £78million release clause."

Chelsea transfer news: Conte looks to bolster defence with Spurs' Ben Davies

19 September

There's a new name on Antonio Conte's shopping list and it will make London rivals Tottenham groan. The player in Chelsea's sights is Ben Davies, the Wales defender who played a prominent part in their stirring journey to the European Championship semi-final in July. The  Sun says that Davies comes with a £20m price tag, peanuts to a club like Chelsea, and Conte is ready to swoop in the New Year. Apparently the Blues boss has identified the 23-year-old as just the sort of versatile defender who can bolster the Chelsea back four. Comfortable either at full-back or left-back, Davies

is seen as the man to replace John Terry when he hangs up his boots at the end of the season. Additionally, says the Sun, the fact that Davies is British means that he will comply the

Premier League rules that state eight homegrown players must be named in each club’s squad.

Elsewhere and the Express reports that AC Milan are not the only Italian outfit interested in Blues midfielder Cesc Fabregas. It emerged last week that the Spanish playmaker was being scouted by AC Milan, alerted to his bit-part existence under Antonio Conte, and now the Express claims that Juventus and Inter Milan are also weighing up a New Year bid for the former Arsenal man. Nonetheless AC Milan remain favourites to land Fabregas and it's believed that they will "offer striker Carlos Bacca as part of any deal" to bring him to the San Siro.

 

Recommended

Premier League goes to the wire: the ‘most exciting’ final day ever?
Will Man City or Liverpool lift the Premier League trophy?
View from the terraces

Premier League goes to the wire: the ‘most exciting’ final day ever?

Jake Daniels comes out as gay: a landmark moment
Jake Daniels made his first-team debut for Blackpool against Peterborough on 7 May 
View from the terraces

Jake Daniels comes out as gay: a landmark moment

Messi vs. Ronaldo: all-time goals, career stats and trophies
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo
Profile

Messi vs. Ronaldo: all-time goals, career stats and trophies

Europa League final: Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Rangers preview and predictions
The Uefa Europa League trophy at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán Stadium in Seville
The big match

Europa League final: Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Rangers preview and predictions

Popular articles

The mysterious Russian oligarch deaths
Vladimir Putin has previously deployed ‘extreme measures’ to crush opposition
Why we’re talking about . . .

The mysterious Russian oligarch deaths

Depp v. Heard: what the latest battle has revealed
Amber Heard
In Depth

Depp v. Heard: what the latest battle has revealed

Is Vladimir Putin seriously ill?
Vladimir Putin
Why we’re talking about . . .

Is Vladimir Putin seriously ill?

The Week Footer Banner