Sri Lanka vs. England 2nd Test: team news, start time, TV and radio guide
England name an unchanged side while Sri Lanka are in meltdown
Sri Lanka vs. England
- What: second Test of the three-match series
- When: 14-18 November
- Where: Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Kandy
- Start time: each day’s play begins at 4.30am (UK time)
- TV channel: live on Sky Sports
Ben Foakes will continue as wicketkeeper and Ben Stokes will bat at No.3 as an unchanged England side look to complete a series victory against Sri Lanka.
Joe Root’s side won the opening Test of the three-match series by 211 runs in Galle and will head to Kandy confident of another victory. The second Test starts tomorrow morning at 4.30am.
Captain Root has kept faith with the same XI that won the first Test with the only changes coming in the batting line-up. Stokes is promoted to No.3 while Moeen Ali is set to bat at No.6.
After hitting a century and claiming three dismissals on his Test debut in Galle, Foakes retains his place in the side and the wicketkeeping gloves. Regular Test keeper Jonny Bairstow is fit again after an ankle injury but has been overlooked the BBC reports.
Speaking to Sky Sports this morning Root said: “Ben is going to keep. We’ve come to Sri Lanka to win this tour and in these conditions I think he is the best option behind the stumps. It’s a great opportunity for Ben to show his ability and I think you've got to reward a performance like last week.”
Sri Lanka in meltdown
Meanwhile, The Guardian reports that Sri Lanka have kept faith in Akila Dananjaya. The off-spinner, who took only two wickets in Galle, has been reported for a suspect bowling action but is free to play in the second Test.
The Daily Telegraph says Sri Lanka are “in meltdown”. As well as the reporting of Dananjaya’s bowling action, regular captain Dinesh Chandimal is injured, spin legend Rangana Herath has retired and team manager Charith Senanayake resigned on Sunday for personal reasons. Fast bowler Suranga Lakmal stands in as skipper in place of Chandimal.
Crickbuzz says that Root’s high-spirited England side have the chance to “pile on Sri Lanka’s misery”.
Second Test teams
- England confirmed XI: Rory Burns, Keaton Jennings, Ben Stokes, Joe Root (captain), Jos Buttler, Moeen Ali, Ben Foakes (wicketkeeper), Sam Curran, Adil Rashid, Jack Leach, James Anderson
- Sri Lanka possible XI (according to Crickbuzz): Kaushal Silva, Dimuth Karunaratne, Dhananjaya de Silva, Kusal Mendis, Roshen Silva, Angelo Matthews, Niroshan Dickwella, Dilruwan Perera, Malinda Pushpakumara, Suranga Lakmal, Akila Dananjaya
TV and radio schedule
The second Test in Kandy will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Cricket. The match begins at 4.30am (UK time) each day and Sky’s coverage begins at 4am. TalkSPORT 2 will provide live radio coverage from 4am.