F1: Silverstone talks ongoing to find ‘win-win’ new deal for British Grand Prix
Hamilton hails ‘bright light’ Lauda and Button expects title mix up in Monaco
Formula 1 chairman Chase Carey says talks with Silverstone to renew the circuit’s contract for the British Grand Prix are ongoing but a deal must be a “win-win” for both parties.
Silverstone’s contract to host the British GP expires after this year’s race on 14 July.
In an interview with Sky Sports Carey said: “We want relationships that are win-win for both of us. That requires partners to execute and maximise the opportunity we bring, we need to make sure we bring races and events that we support that can meet people’s expectations.
“We are having good conversations with Silverstone. As I’ve said in the past, we don’t pre-announce things - we think conversations are best had in private, and when we have something done, we’ll announce it.
“We both have to make it work, but that requires both of us to do our job.”
Hamilton hails ‘bright light’ Lauda
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton posted his own tribute to the team’s non-executive chairman and three-time world champion Niki Lauda, who died on Monday aged 70.
Writing on Twitter, Hamilton said: “I’m struggling to believe you are gone. I will miss our conversations, our laughs, the big hugs after winning races together. God rest your soul.
“Thank you for being a bright light in my life. I’ll always be here for your family should they ever need me. Love you man.”
Button: Monaco and Montreal will mix up the title race
Mercedes head to the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend looking to continue their dominant form.
The Silver Arrows have achieved five successive 1-2s so far this season but they may find the Monte Carlo street circuit a tough challenge.
Sky Sports F1 pundit Jenson Button said: “The great thing is that we have Monaco up next. Monaco is probably a circuit at which they’re still probably going to be very quick, but you will have the Red Bulls, Max [Verstappen] is going to be there.
“The next couple of races [will be] definitely mixing it up and that changes the mindset of those teams and also of Mercedes’ drivers. I think it will definitely mix the championship up.”
Thursday practice in Monaco
F1 fans are reminded that the first two free practice sessions at this week’s Monaco Grand Prix will take place on Thursday instead of Friday.
The reason? Formula1.com’s Chris Medland explains: “Friday is a day off when it comes to Formula 1 track action [in Monaco]. One of the backstories to the Thursday practice centres around a local market taking place on the Friday in the past, but however the tradition originated it’s simply an extra day to see cars running on track, so what’s not to love?”
F1 news headlines
What the media is writing about in the world of Formula 1: