2018 Fifa Club World Cup guide: teams and fixtures
River Plate complete the line up after victory in the Copa Libertadores
Fifa Club World Cup UAE 2018
- When: 12-22 December
- Where: Al Ain and Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Teams: seven
- Official website: fifa.com
River Plate’s 5-3 aggregate win over their Buenos Aires rivals Boca Juniors not only secured the Argentines a fourth Copa Libertadores crown but also their place at the 2018 Fifa Club World Cup.
The tournament, which takes place in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 12-22 December, will see the regional champions from Fifa’s six confederations compete alongside a host club.
Uefa Champions League holders Real Madrid head to the UAE looking to defend the Club World Cup title they won in 2017. Three-time winners Real beat Brazilian side Gremio in last year’s final.
As well as Real Madrid (Europe), the 2018 Club World Cup will feature UAE host club Al Ain FC and regional champions CD Guadalajara (North, Central America and Caribbean), Team Wellington (Oceania), Kashima Antlers (Asia), Espérance S. de Tunis (Africa) and River Plate (South America).
Club World Cup 2018 fixtures (all times UK)
- 12 December: Al Ain FC vs. Team Wellington FC (3.30pm)
- 15 December: Kashima Antlers vs. CD Guadalajara (1pm)
- 15 December: Espérance S. de Tunis vs. Al Ain FC/Team Wellington FC (4.30pm)
Match for fifth place
- 18 December: 1.30pm at Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium, Al Ain City
- 18 December: River Plate vs. Espérance S. de Tunis/Al Ain FC/Team Wellington FC (1.30pm)
- 19 December: Kashima Antlers/CD Guadalajara vs. Real Madrid (4.30pm)
Match for third place
- 22 December: 1.30pm at Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi
- 22 December: 4.30pm at Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi
About the 2018 Fifa Club World Cup
What is the Fifa Club World Cup?
Organised by Fifa, the annual Club World Cup features one host team and the regional champions from the football governing body’s six confederations - Uefa (Europe); Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf); Oceania Football Confederation (OFC); South American Football Confederation (Conmebol); Asian Football Confederation (AFC); and Confederation of African Football (CAF).
When does it take place this year?
The 2018 Fifa Club World Cup will be held from 12-22 December.
Who is the host nation?
The UAE will host the tournament for the second year in a row. The host club is Al Ain FC, the UAE league champions.
Where will matches be played?
Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi and the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium in Al Ain will host the matches. Eight matches in total will be played and Zayed Sports City will host the final.
Which teams will play this year?
- Host team: Al Ain FC (UAE title winners)
- CD Guadalajara (Mexico; Concacaf Champions League winners)
- Team Wellington FC (New Zealand; OFC Champions League winners)
- Real Madrid (Spain; Uefa Champions League winners)
- River Plate (Argentina; Conmebol Copa Libertadores winners)
- Kashima Antlers (Japan; AFC Champions League winners)
- Espérance S. de Tunis (Tunisia; CAF Champions League)