Cristiano Ronaldo sells house: is he on way back to Man Utd?
Real Madrid said to be open to a 'big money' sale now rather than waiting for his value to diminish
THE PROSPECT of Cristiano Ronaldo making a dramatic return to Old Trafford is stronger than ever says The Sun, which claims United have “made contact with his representatives”. Also, the 28-year-old frontman has put his house up for sale in Spain, which at the Sun means only one thing – he’s tired of Real Madrid and keen to taste life in the Premier League once more.
The paper claims that Ronaldo, who left United for the Bernabeu in a £80m move in 2009, has turned down offers from Real Madrid to sign a new deal. He has two years left on his existing contract and Real are said to be open to a sale now, rather than in a year or two when his value might have diminished.
Though the Sun doesn’t say how much United are prepared to pay, it would be have to be “big money” for a player of his quality.
Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna has revealed to the Evening Standard that he is in discussions with the club over a contract extension. The 30-year-old has been linked with a number of European clubs in recent weeks, including Inter Milan, Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain.
According to the Standard “negotiations have so far stalled” over Arsene Wenger’s reluctance to offer the right-back anything more than a 12-month extension. “There are [discussions] but I still haven’t extended my contract,” explained Sagna, who joined the Gunners from Auxerre in 2007. “I am talking and I am not at a bad club.”
Asked if he might consider a return to France if a fresh deal couldn’t be agreed, Sagna said: “It is possible. We would have to see.” The Standard says that if Arsenal do put the Frenchman up for sale, they’d expect to receive a fee in excess of £5m.
Another of Arsenal’s French defenders is in the news. Laurent Koscielny, the centre-back who arrived in north London in 2010, has warned he will quit the club unless they start filling their trophy cabinet.
With rumours that Bayern Munich might be lining up a bid for Koscielny, the defender has made it clear he won’t stay at the Emirates forever unless the club start picking up titles. “I want to win a championship,” he’s quoted as saying in the Metro. “I don’t want to be fighting like we have this season because it was very tiring psychologically. I feel good at Arsenal, if we have ambition to fight against the other teams of course I want to stay here.”
According to Sky Sports, Jose Mourinho’s first signing at Chelsea will be Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko. The self-styled ‘Special One’ signed a four-year deal on Monday and it appears he intends to send out a message to Chelsea’s rivals by swooping for the Bosnia hitman.
Dzeko arrived at the Etihad in 2011 from German club Wolfsburg, but under Roberto Mancini he has struggled to break into the starting XI. Though recent rumours suggested the 27-year-old Dzeko could be set for a return to Germany, Sky claims he is set for “a surprise switch to Stamford Bridge”.
Finally, Talksport claims that West Ham are still no closer to knowing if Andy Carroll will make his move to Upton Park permanent. The 24-year-old striker spent last season in east London on loan from Liverpool, and West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is “determined” to sign him full-time. But while the Hammers have apparently agreed a £15m fee with Liverpool for the England man, Carroll is yet to agree to the deal.
Currently sunning himself in Florida, Carroll will make his decision when he returns. But West Ham are cautiously optimistic his flowing locks will be back at the club in August. The Standard reports that Newcastle are unlikely to table a bid for their former striker while Liverpool are anxious for the deal to go through so they can put the money to good use in the summer transfer market.