In Depth

Man Utd transfer window verdict: the end for Louis van Gaal?

Manchester United were in need of new blood in January and it is telling that the manager did not pick up the chequebook

Man Utd transfer news: Riyad Mahrez on Old Trafford radar

03 November

Looks like Manchester United have developed a taste for fox with Talksport reporting that the Red Devils "are weighing up a move" for Leicester City midfielder Riyad Mahrez.

As we reported yesterday, young defender Ben Chilwell is being eyed up by United and Arsenal and now comes news that the 24-year-old playmaker is the latest Fox to be hunted by the Premier League big boys.

The Algerian international, has already bagged seven goals this season, lifting Leicester to third in the table. Talksport, citing sources in France, says that United are closing in on Mahrez and "they may make a move for him this January". With Louis van Gaal's side firing blanks in recent weeks, the United manager is in desperate need of firepower in January although Talksport claims Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri has "no plans to sell Mahrez".

Man Utd transfer news: £90m Bale bid fast-tracked to January

2 November

With Manchester United unable to score a goal for love or money these days, the Sunday People claims that the club have stepped up their bid to sign Gareth Bale from Real Madrid, and are also eyeing Thomas Muller and Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich.

Originally United's plan had been to make their move for Bale next summer but it appears they will offer the Spanish giants £90m in the new year.

According to the People Louis van Gaal and club chief executive Ed Woodward are "committed to going in for the 26-year-old". However, they will not use goalkeeper David de Gea as part of their package despite the fact the Spaniard was heavily linked with a move to the Bernabeu earlier in the year. The People says that Woodward believes "he can still do business" with Real even though the clubs failed to reach an agreement on De Gea in August.

If Bale can't be lured from Spain in January, he will remain United's priority signing next summer with Bayern Munich strikers Thomas Muller and Robert Lewandowski also on the Red Devils' wishlist.

The Daily Mirror, for its part, says that United are lining up a £40m bid for Lazio midfielder Felipe Anderson. The 22-year-old Brazilian has been linked to Bayern Munich and Juventus in recent times but the former silky Santos star is highly valued by Lazio and the Mirror claims that United are prepared to offer them £40m, which is £5m more than Bayern are reportedly prepared to cough up.

Man Utd transfer news: Samper battle looms with Arsenal

30 October

Arsenal and Man United are readying themselves for a bruising battle over Barcelona youngster Sergi Samper, says website Caughtoffside, with the Red Devils hoping to get in the first blow by tabling a big money bid for the 20-year-old midfielder.

Samper has been regularly linked with a move to Arsenal over the past 12 months, although to be honest so has most of the footballing world, but caughtoffside is adamant that Arsene Wenger remains "a big admirer" of Samper's.

But it's reported United sent their scouts to Barcelona’s recent Copa Del Rey clash against Villanovense, and the favourable reports received by Louis van Gaal have persuaded the Dutchman to splash the cash.

Caughtoffside says that the playmaker "has an £8.5m buyout clause installed in his contract", which is small fry to a club of United's stature, particularly as Samper is regarded as the next Sergio Busquets.

In corroborating Caughtoffside's account, the Daily Express adds that United's scouts weren't just checking out Samper when they watched Barcelona take on Villanovense. Apparently they also cast an eye over Wilfrid Kaptoum, the Cameroonian teenager of whom much is expected in years to come.

Just 19 years old, Kaptoum is a midfielder whose performance against Villanovense was the one highlight in an otherwise drab goalless draw.

Man Utd transfer news: PSG deliver Lewandowski blow

29 October

The chances of Manchester United landing hotshot Robert Lewandowski have taken a blow with Talksport's claim that he is now top of Paris Saint-Germain's wishlist.

Apparently the French champions have identified Lewandowski as the man to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who is expected to head Stateside next summer to see out his career in the MLS.

According to Talksport PSG "want a big-name forward to replace the Swede" and having drawn a blank with Barcelona's Neymar they are zeroing in on Lewandowski. The Polish striker only joined Bayern Munich last year but PSG have the spending power to make the German club an irresistible offer.

Whether United have the means to match the French club remains to be seen but Talksport suggests it's unlikely they will look to outbid PSG for the services of Lewandowski, although Wednesday's league cup defeat to Middlesbrough underlined the lack of quality strikers at Old Trafford.

Man Utd transfer news: Dybala and Griezmann to replace Rooney? 

28 October

In their desperate search for goals, Manchester United have reportedly "contacted the representatives" of Antoine Griezmann over the possibility of a January move to Old Trafford.

The 24-year-old winger – who has scored six goals in nine games this season – has aroused the interest of some of Europe's elite clubs, including United, reports Talksport.

Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are believed to have scouted the France international, but Spanish media outlet Fichajes says Manchester United are now "in the race for Griezmann" with manager Louis van Gaal desperate to bolster his strike force in January. Talksport says that United are "ready to back up their interest with a formal offer" provided they get the go ahead from the player's representatives.

Meanwhile the Daily Express claims that United are "lining up a swoop" for Juventus striker Paulo Dybala, according to reports in Italy claiming that United have identified the 21-year-old Dybala as "a direct replacement for Wayne Rooney". The 30-year-old has been a shadow of his former self this season, and his fall from grace culminated in a shocking display in Sunday's drab goalless draw with Manchester City.

Finally, the Daily Star reports that Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has dismissed suggestions that Lionel Messi could leave the Camp Nou at the end of the season and head to Salford.

Last week rumours emerged in the Spanish and British press linking the Argentine striker with Manchester United, but when asked about the possibility of losing their star player, Bartomeu responded: "People who say Messi is leaving Barcelona should be embarrassed... Leo and his father said they don't imagine playing at another club. The relationship with the family is very good." 

Man Utd transfer news: £50m Kane raid is on next summer

23 October

With Manchester United still not firing on all cylinders under Louis van Gaal, the Daily Star reports that the Dutchman is "demanding the Old Trafford top brass" sign Spurs striker Harry Kane for next season.

The 22-year-old England international, who enjoyed a sensational breakthrough season with Tottenham last year, was heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford over the summer. Indeed, the Star says that United actually "tabled an offer" for Kane, only to have it kicked into the long grass by Spurs.

The bid, believed to be in the region of £25m, was considered derisory by the Londoners but now, according to beIn Sports, Van Gaal is "insisting" a deal for Kane is completed next summer.

If United are serious about landing the England frontman, who's so far struggled for form this season, it's believed they will have to double their original offer.

Man Utd transfer news: Gaitan will not join Depay and Martial

22 October

The chances of Manchester United landing Nicolas Gaitan appear to be dead and buried with the Daily Express reporting that "he is about to sign a new deal with Benfica". 

The Argentine international has been persistently linked with a move to Old Trafford but the deal that everyone predicted would happen last summer failed to materialise, explains the paper. Instead United decided to sign Memphis Depay and Anthony Martial, although sources within the club still claimed Louis van Gaal intended to make a play for Gaitan in January. 

But the Express, citing Portuguese daily A Bola as its source, says Gaitan is about to extend his Benfica contract to June 2018 with manager Rui Vitoria "desperate to keep and reward the player".

It's believed the 27-year-old's agent Jose Iribarren will jet into Lisbon next week to finalise the deal.

 

Recommended

Newcastle’s first battle is to avoid relegation
Newcastle’s new chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan and part-owner Amanda Staveley
View from the terraces

Newcastle’s first battle is to avoid relegation

Messi vs. Ronaldo: how football’s superstars compare
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo
Profile

Messi vs. Ronaldo: how football’s superstars compare

Wembley Euro final disorder ‘seals the deal’ for World Cup bid hopes
Police and England fans on Wembley Way ahead of the Euro 2020 final
In Focus

Wembley Euro final disorder ‘seals the deal’ for World Cup bid hopes

Newcastle’s Saudi takeover: what is ‘sportswashing’?
Newcastle play their home games at St James’ Park
In Focus

Newcastle’s Saudi takeover: what is ‘sportswashing’?

Popular articles

Why does the UK have highest Covid case rate in western Europe?
England lockdown lifted
Today’s big question

Why does the UK have highest Covid case rate in western Europe?

The tally of Covid-19 vaccine deaths examined
Boy receiving Covid vaccine
Getting to grips with . . .

The tally of Covid-19 vaccine deaths examined

What is blackfishing?
Shot of Jesy Nelson with her hair in braids
In Depth

What is blackfishing?

The Week Footer Banner