In Brief

Gareth Bale dashes Man Utd hopes by staying at Real Madrid

Welshman is 'not for sale at any price' insists Real Madrid president

Wednesday's rumour mill concerns Welshman Gareth Bale and the 'will-he-won't-he' saga over his future at Real Madrid. The latest news isn't good for Manchester United.

Gareth Bale, whose £86m move to Madrid in September 2013 made him the highest priced footballer of all time, is going nowhere. That's the message from Real Madrid president Florentino Perez who has dampened speculation that the Welsh footballer could be heading back to England at the end of the season.

Talksport reports that the former Tottenham star has been linked with Manchester United in recent weeks after Real fans turned on him, but Perez is adamant Bale will stay at the Bernabeu. "We shall never listen to any offers for Bale," Perez told the Spanish daily Marca. "He is the key to the club's future, just as I cannot imagine a future without Cristiano Ronaldo."

Another man going nowhere is Tottenham gloveman Hugo Lloris. In what it claims as an "exclusive", Metro says that contrary to rumours, the Frenchman "does not have a release clause in his contract". The news will come as a blow to the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United, both of whom had been linked with the 28-year-old keeper, after reports in the French media suggested he had a £14.5m release clause inserted into his Spurs deal, which could be triggered in June if the Lilywhites failed to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Talking of keepers, the agent of Fiorentina's Norberto Neto has warned Juventus that Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain are also interested in his client. Neto is out of contract in July and has been linked with Juventus, but in conversation with Gazzetta TV, agent Stefano Castagna said: "There are many European clubs interested in Neto, for example Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain." Asked if they had made any decision as to Neto's future, Castagna said: "We have not made a definitive decision."

Former Chelsea frontman Kevin de Bruyne is once more being linked with a return to the Premier League, this time with Manchester City. According to the Daily Mirror, the 23-year-old "has blossomed into one of Europe's hottest properties" since he moved to Wolfsburg for £18m in January 2014. Apparently the Sky Blues are poised to make a move, though it's said they might have to pay twice what Wolfsburg paid Chelsea if they're to land de Bruyne.

Recommended

A guide to the Uefa Women’s Euro 2022
The Uefa Women’s Euro trophy
The big match

A guide to the Uefa Women’s Euro 2022

Maradona and the ‘simple homicide’ trial
Diego Maradona pictured in 2019
Why we’re talking about . . .

Maradona and the ‘simple homicide’ trial

A perfect storm of ‘injury, fatigue and déjà vu’ for England? 
England captain Harry Kane reacts after Hungary’s third goal at Molineux 
View from the terraces

A perfect storm of ‘injury, fatigue and déjà vu’ for England? 

Should Gareth Southgate be sacked?
Gareth Southgate reacts to England’s 4-0 defeat to Hungary in the Uefa Nations League
View from the terraces

Should Gareth Southgate be sacked?

Popular articles

Are we heading for World War Three?
Ukrainian soldiers patrol on the frontline in Zolote, Ukraine
In Depth

Are we heading for World War Three?

What happened to Logan Mwangi?
Tributes left to Logan Mwangi
Today’s big question

What happened to Logan Mwangi?

Nato vs. Russia: who would win in a war?
Nato troops
Today’s big question

Nato vs. Russia: who would win in a war?

The Week Footer Banner