Man City transfer news: Mahrez, Jorginho, Sandro, Hart
Leicester star signs for club record £60m, but a deal for Napoli midfield general could be in jeopardy
Mahrez finally signs
Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Riyad Mahrez from Leicester City for a club record £60m.
The 27-year-old winger has put pen to paper on a five-year deal after undergoing a medical. He will wear the same No.26 jersey he had at Leicester.
The Algerian, who had been linked with a move to City for months, said he was excited by the challenge and was looking forward to playing at the Etihad under Pep Guardiola.
“City’s performances last season were outstanding,” he said. “They’re redefining the English game and I wanted to be a part of it. I think we can be successful over the coming years and I believe my own game can develop under Pep’s management.”
According the Daily Mail, “Guardiola wanted Mahrez from Leicester City in January but was willing to wait until the summer after a refusal to match the Foxes’ valuation.
“Mahrez was granted a leave of absence from Leicester’s training camp in France over the weekend and underwent a medical in Wilmslow on Tuesday afternoon.”
The player will join City on their pre-season tour of the US and is expected to take part in pre-season training today, says the Manchester Evening News.
Chelsea hijack Jorginho deal
Guardiola may have Riyad Mahrez on board but his hopes of signing midfield general Jorginho could be under threat after Chelsea joined the race for the Brazil-born Italian.
City have been chasing the Napoli star since the end of last season, reports the Daily Express.
But the paper adds: “While City are said to have agreed personal terms with Jorginho, with the 26-year-old said to be keen on a move, the two clubs have struggled to agree over a fee... And the failure to reach any middle ground is set to see Chelsea swoop in and try to seal a deal with N’Golo Kante reportedly Paris Saint-Germain’s top summer target.”
Chelsea’s hand is strengthened by rumours that they are about to appoint former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri as Antonio Conte’s replacement.
City join Sandro race?
Shock reports in Italy suggest that Man City have entered the race to sign Brazilian left-back Alex Sandro from Juventus, says website Sport Witness.
The reason? City want another full-back to “complement Benjamin Mendy and allow for rotation”.
“Guardiola was forced to improvise with the likes of Oleksandr Zinchenko and Fabian Delph last season when the France international got injured, and it would seem he isn’t planning on running that risk again.”
The 27-year-old is also wanted by Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United and Chelsea and could command a fee of €40m (£35.3m).
Hart in Birmingham link
Remember Joe Hart? The former England goalkeeper has been out of favour since Guardiola arrived at the Etihad and spent the past two seasons out on loan. Now it seems City are seeking to get rid of Hart for good, and Birmingham City are said to be in with a chance of signing him.
The Midlands club are “among the favourites for an incredible swoop”, says the Birmingham Mail.
Hart spent the 2009-10 season on loan at Birmingham “and eight years on, the bookies think he could make an unlikely return”.
The keeper has returned from a loan at West Ham “but is expected to leave this summer in search of first-team football”, says the paper.
“Blues are in the market for a new goalkeeper this summer with manager Garry Monk having told both senior options David Stockdale and Tomasz Kuszczak they can leave.”
Barcelona starlet joins City
Teenage striker Adria Bernabe has confirmed his move to City on Instagram, reports the website This Is Futbol.
“The 17-year-old attacker has updated his display picture to himself in a Man City shirt and also changed his Instagram bio, which states that he’s now a Manchester City player after exiting La Liga giants Barca.
“The former Barcelona player joins an academy that has produced talents such as Phil Foden, Brahim Diaz, Manu Garcia, Kelechi Iheanacho and Angus Gunn in recent seasons.”