Man Utd transfer news: Jordan Pickford, David de Gea, Kalidou Koulibaly
United line up Everton and England star Pickford to replace De Gea
In pursuit of Pickford
The potential departure of David de Gea from Manchester United has sparked a flurry of speculation, with reports that the club is prepared to pay a world-record fee to sign Jordan Pickford as his replacement.
The Daily Mirror says the Red Devils are willing to “splash out £70m” on Everton and England star Pickford, despite his gaffe that gifted Liverpool three points in yesterday’s Merseyside derby.
If Pickford does join United it will make him the world’s most expensive goalkeeper, surpassing the £66.8m that Liverpool paid Roma for Brazil’s Alisson this summer.
Pickford, who joined Everton from Sunderland last year, recently penned a six-year deal with the Toffees - hence the eye-watering price that United would be forced to pay for his services.
However, The Sunday Times says that the 28-year-old De Gea “will resist any move” by United to sell him in the next two transfer windows.
The Spain international is reportedly ready to put his signature to a new and improved deal at Old Trafford provided the club “agrees to make him their best-paid player”. If United don’t play ball then De Gea could leave as a free agent at the end of the 2019-20 season.
Because he’s worth it
De Gea is said to be seeking wages that he “considers worthy of his status” as one of the world’s top glovemen, and believes he should receive a salary similar to the £500,000-a-week deal that Alexis Sanchez gets at Old Trafford.
“David will not leave next summer,” a source told the Sunday Times. “Either he moves to another club in a year-and-a-half’s time or he signs a new contract with United. The situation can change at any time.”
Napoli say no
According to the Daily Mail, Napoli have “turned down a big £91m offer” from United for defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
United have long been linked to the 27-year-old, but the newspaper claims that Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis wasn’t impressed with the English side’s offer and “immediately rejected” it.
Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport adds that United are determined to prise the Senegal international from Napoli in order to shore up their leaky defence and that another bid will be tabled next month when the January transfer window opens.
Asked about the alleged bid, Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho replied: “The only thing I can tell you is Koulibaly is a Napoli player. And I don’t speak about players from other clubs.”