Chelsea transfer news: Cesc Fabregas, Eden Hazard, Callum Wilson, Gonzalo Higuain
Spanish midfielder close to Monaco move, no contact over Hazard, and who will solve Sarri’s striker shortage?
Cesc Fabregas is close to finalising a move from Chelsea to Monaco, and appeared to wave goodbye to the Stamford Bridge fans at the end of the Blues’ 0-0 draw with Southampton on Wednesday.
“The Spanish midfielder has struggled to break into Maurizio Sarri’s starting XI this season, and has played just six times for the Blues in the Premier League,” reports Sky Sports.
“The 31-year-old’s Chelsea deal expires at the end of the season, and he is now understood to be close to a reunion with former Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry.”
Sarri is concerned that he will be left short of midfield cover if Fabregas leaves, but the Spaniard seems intent on a move.
No news on Hazard deal
The signing of Christian Pulisic by Chelsea this week has prompted speculation that Eden Hazard will be leaving Stamford Bridge in the summer.
But the Daily Star has “good news” for Blues fans after “respected Belgian journalist” Kristof Terreur revealed that there had been absolutely no contact between Madrid and Chelsea over a possible move for the Belgium World Cup star.
Higuain move back on?
The comments of Blues boss Sarri about his striking options after the goalless draw with Saints have led to speculation that he will resurrect plans to sign former Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain, currently at AC Milan.
The Daily Express says Chelsea are “willing to give up [Alvaro] Morata to land the Argentina international”.
Picking up on reports that the deal could be back on, the paper says: “Higuain, 31, is currently on loan at AC Milan from Juventus. Milan have an option to make the deal permanent in the summer, however, it remains to be seen whether Higuain is in the Italian giants’ long-term plans.”
The Argentine played for Sarri at Napoli and the manager is believed to be an admirer.
Is Callum Wilson the answer?
Chelsea are definitely after more firepower up front this month and, according to the Daily Mirror, Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson is “still a target”.
However, it appears unlikely that Sarri will take the easy option and recall Michy Batshuayi or Tammy Abraham from their loan spells at Valencia and Aston Villa.
Tammy Abraham to Wolves?
Sarri’s decision not to turn to any of his loaned out players to solve the Blues’ striking crisis may have conviced Abraham that it is time to move on, and The Sun reports that the England striker is in talks over a move to Wolves.
The 21-year-old is currently with Aston Villa, but the proposed £18m deal “would see Abraham cut short his season-long loan move in order to finally get a permanent move to a Premier League club.
“It is a huge statement from Wolves who are hoping to negotiate personal terms before the weekend.”
Bayern offer £30m for Hudson-Odoi
Bayern Munich have made a £30m offer for Chelsea’s teenage winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, reports The Sun.
“The German giants are determined to sign Hudson-Odoi, 18, and have returned with a package worth £30m including add-on clauses,” says the paper.
“Chelsea may find it hard to resist such a big fee for a player with only 18 months left on his current contract. Hudson-Odoi has refused to sign the new deal on the table and is keen to move on from Stamford Bridge in search of more first-team opportunities.”
England star Jadon Sancho turned his back on Manchester City for similar reasons and has shone in Germany since joining Borussia Dortmund.