Arsenal transfer news: Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Rob Holding, Marcus Thuram, Adrien Rabiot
The Gunners are in pole position to sign Crystal Palace right-back Wan-Bissaka
According to the latest reports, Arsenal are leading the chase for Crystal Palace right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Bayern Munich, Everton and Manchester City have been linked to Wan-Bissaka in recent weeks but apparently the Gunners are ready to meet Palace’s asking price of £40m.
Gunners gaffer Unai Emery is impressed by the youngster’s speed and strength. He believes the 21-year-old could help bolster the club’s notoriously flaky back-four.
The Sun says that the Croydon lad would prefer to stay in London – hence the attraction of Arsenal. The fact that Palace are “checking” on Wigan’s Reece James (on loan from Chelsea) only fuels rumours that a deal will be agreed this summer.
Holding to get a new deal
Arsenal are ready to offer Rob Holding a new contract despite his long-term injury, reports the Daily Mirror. The paper says that Unai Emery is a fan of the 23-year-old central defender.
Currently sidelined with cruciate knee ligament damage, Holding is unlikely to be seen again this season, but the Mirror says that Emery wants to “reward him for his progress and the new terms will reflect his standing in the first team”.
Thuram being tracked
According to Football.London, Arsenal scouts were in France last week to run an eye over Marcus Thuram.
Son of France World Cup legend Lilian, the 21-year-old has been flourishing in Ligue 1 this season, despite playing for basement boys Guingamp.
The frontman has scored 11 goals in 25 games and looked sharp against Bordeaux, prompting speculation that Unai Emery could come calling in the summer.
The Daily Mirror has been reading the Spanish papers. As a result it claims that Arsenal’s efforts to sign Paris Saint-Germain ace Adrien Rabiot have been “given a boost”.
Why? Because Barcelona have gone cold on the 23-year-old midfielder after an initial approach fell on deaf ears.
Apparently the La Liga leaders offered a “€10m [£8.7m] signing-on fee” to Rabiot’s mother (who’s also his agent) and the same sum as an annual salary.
But after receiving no response to their generous terms, Barcelona have “decided to look elsewhere”.
This is good news for the Gunners, says the Mirror, who, along with Liverpool, are still interested in signing Rabiot at the end of the season when his PSG contract expires.
Premier League results
- Cardiff City 1 Watford 5
- West Ham United 3 Fulham 1
- Burnley 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1
- AFC Bournemouth 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1
- Newcastle United 2 Huddersfield Town 0
- Leicester City 1 Crystal Palace 4
- Arsenal 2 Southampton 0
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 0
Premier League fixtures
Tuesday 26 February
- Cardiff City vs. Everton (7.45pm)
- Huddersfield Town vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (7.45pm)
- Leicester City vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (7.45pm)
- Newcastle United vs. Burnley (8pm, live on BT Sport 1)
Wednesday 27 February
- Arsenal vs. AFC Bournemouth (7.45pm)
- Southampton vs. Fulham (7.45pm)
- Chelsea vs. Tottenham Hotspur (8pm, live on BT Sport 1)
- Crystal Palace vs. Manchester United (8pm)
- Liverpool vs. Watford (8pm)
- Manchester City vs. West Ham United (8pm)