Premier League transfer news: Cristiano Ronaldo, Kieran Tierney, Ivan Rakitic
Ronaldo says he’s ‘fine’ at Juventus despite reports linking him with Man Utd return
Premier League transfer news and rumours
Ronaldo’s good at Juve
Cristiano Ronaldo has quashed any rumours that he could leave Juventus for Manchester United by saying that he’s “fine” playing for the Italian champions.
According to reports the former United star had been linked with a return to Old Trafford despite having only signed for Juve last summer.
Italian publication Tuttosport reports that Ronaldo has told friends “I’m fine here” at Juve. The Manchester Evening News adds that the Portugal star has been linked with a move back to United “pretty much since the moment he left in 2009”. The 34-year-old has scored 21 goals for Juventus this season.
Tierney on Arsenal radar
A day after losing manager Brendan Rodgers to Leicester City Celtic could now face a battle to keep hold of one of their star players this summer. According to the Daily Mirror Arsenal are planning a £25m move for Scotland left-back Kieran Tierney. Everton are also believed to be interested in the 21-year-old, while the Scottish Sun adds that ex-Celtic boss Rodgers could try and lure Tierney to Leicester.
Rodgers eyes Celtic stars
Kieran Tierney is not the only Celtic player linked with a move to Brendan Rodgers’s Leicester City. The new Foxes boss is also keen on Callum McGregor and James Forrest. (The Times)
United monitor Rakitic
Ivan Rakitic’s future at Barcelona is being closely monitored by Manchester United. The Croatian midfielder, who is also wanted by Inter Milan, may be sold by Barca this summer to help balance their books. (Daily Mail)
Higuain’s Juve days are over
Italian champions Juventus don’t want striker Gonzalo Higuain to return even if Chelsea decide against making his loan spell permanent. The Argentine, 31, is on loan at Chelsea until the end of the season and has scored two goals since his arrival at Stamford Bridge. (The Sun)
Fred will get his chance
Manchester United midfielder Fred had been linked with a move away from Old Trafford after just one season but caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told the Brazilian he will get his chance. Solskjaer said: “Play well when he gets the chance, keeping training, keep working as he does. I am sure that when given the chance and a run in the team Fred will grab the opportunity.” (Sky Sports)
FA investigate alleged Sancho payment
The English Football Association is investigating an alleged £200,000 payment made by Manchester City to Jadon Sancho’s agent when he was 14 years old. According to documents published by Der Spiegel City paid the sum to Emeka Obasi when they signed Sancho from Watford in 2015. The BBC reports that players aged under-16 cannot be represented by an agent. The winger, 18, is now playing for Borussia Dortmund in Germany’s Bundesliga.
First Sala payment due
Cardiff City have a Wednesday deadline to pay French club Nantes the first instalment of Emiliano Sala’s £15m transfer fee. Sala, 28, died when his plane crashed into the English channel on 21 January. (BBC Sport)
Premier League results and fixtures
Results: Tuesday 26 February
- Cardiff City 0 Everton 3
- Huddersfield Town 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0
- Leicester City 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 1
- Newcastle United 2 Burnley 0
Fixtures: Wednesday 27 February
- Arsenal vs. AFC Bournemouth (7.45pm)
- Southampton vs. Fulham (7.45pm)
- Chelsea vs. Tottenham Hotspur (8pm, live on BT Sport 1)
- Crystal Palace vs. Manchester United (8pm)
- Liverpool vs. Watford (8pm)
- Manchester City vs. West Ham United (8pm)