All Blacks squad: New Zealand name players for autumn tours
Reigning world champions play Japan, England, Ireland and Italy in November
New Zealand have announced two squads for their November rugby union autumn international fixtures.
All Blacks selectors Steve Hansen, Ian Foster and Grant Fox have named a 32-man squad for the matches against England, Ireland and Italy while a further 19 players have been added for the clash in Japan.
Uncapped Auckland loose forward Dalton Papalii, 21, is selected while a number of experienced players return from injury. Hooker Dane Coles, props Nepo Laulala and Joe Moody, lock Brodie Retallick and loose forward Liam Squire have all made the cut for the 32.
All Blacks head coach Steve Hansen said: “This is a hugely exciting Vista Northern Tour we’re about to embark on and one which we’re all looking forward to.
“We congratulate Dalton on being named in the 32-man squad for the tour. He has played outstanding rugby this year and deserves his opportunity.
“We also congratulate those new All Blacks named in the wider squad for the Japan Test. All these players and their families can be proud of the hard work, commitment and dedication that has led to this point.”
The 32-man squad includes 18 forwards (three hookers, five props, four locks and six loose forwards) and 14 backs (three half-backs, three first five-eighths, four midfielders and four outside backs). The squad has won a total of 1,061 Test caps - an average of 33 Test caps per player and average age of 26.
No.8 Kieran Read will captain New Zealand on the tours. The 32-year-old has won 114 caps for the All Blacks.
All Blacks autumn fixtures
- 3 November: Japan vs. New Zealand (Tokyo; 5.45am UK time)
- 10 November: England vs. New Zealand (Twickenham, London; 3pm)
- 17 November: Ireland vs. New Zealand (Aviva Stadium, Dublin; 7pm)
- 25 November: Italy vs. New Zealand (Olimpico Stadio, Rome; 2pm)
New Zealand’s 32-man squad
Forwards (18 in total)
- Hookers: Dane Coles (aged 31, Wellington, 56 caps); Nathan Harris (26, Bay of Plenty, 18); Codie Taylor (27, Canterbury, 38)
- Props: Owen Franks (30, Canterbury, 103); Nepo Laulala (27, Counties Manukau, 13); Joe Moody (30, Canterbury, 36); Karl Tu’inukuafe (25, North Harbour, 9); Ofa Tuungafasi (26, Auckland, 22)
- Locks: Scott Barrett (23, Taranaki, 14); Brodie Retallick (27, Hawke’s Bay, 71); Patrick Tuipulotu (25, Auckland, 19); Samuel Whitelock (30, Canterbury, 105)
- Loose forwards: Vaea Fifita (26, Wellington, 7); Dalton Papalii (21, Auckland, uncapped); Kieran Read, captain (32, Counties Manukau, 114); Ardie Savea (25, Wellington, 31); Liam Squire (27, Tasman, 20); Matt Todd (30, Canterbury, 14)
Backs (14 in total)
- Half-backs: TJ Perenara (26, Wellington, 51); Aaron Smith (28, Manawatu, 79); Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (23, Taranaki, 1)
- First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett (27, Taranaki, 69); Damian McKenzie (23, Waikato, 19); Richie Mo’unga (24, Canterbury, 4)
- Midfielders: Ryan Crotty (30, Canterbury, 41); Jack Goodhue (23, Northland, 5); Anton Lienert-Brown (23, Waikato, 30); Sonny Bill Williams (33, Counties Manukau, 49)
- Outside backs: Jordie Barrett (21, Taranaki, 7); Rieko Ioane (21, Auckland, 20); Waisake Naholo (27, Taranaki, 24); Ben Smith (32, Otago, 73)