Six Nations 2019: Ireland name 38-man squad for opening two rounds
Head coach Joe Schmidt includes three uncapped players
Reigning Six Nations champions Ireland have announced their squad for the first two rounds of the 2019 championship.
Head coach Joe Schmidt has picked a 38-man squad, including three uncapped players, for the home clash against England in Dublin on 2 February and the trip to Scotland a week later.
Uncapped Connacht trio Caolin Blade, Jack Carty and Tom Farrell have been named in Schmidt’s squad while Munster’s Tadhg Beirne and Ulster back Will Addison could be in line for their Six Nations debuts.
Schmidt said: “It’s been great to watch the provincial teams doing so well in recent weeks. There have been a number of tight calls across almost every position.”
Ireland squad for Six Nations rounds one and two
- Backs: Will Addison, Bundee Aki, Caolin Blade, Joey Carbery, Jack Carty, Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Tom Farrell, Robbie Henshaw, Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Conor Murray, Garry Ringrose, Jonathan Sexton, Jacob Stockdale
- Forwards: Rory Best (captain), Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Sean Cronin, Ultan Dillane, Tadhg Furlong, Cian Healy, Iain Henderson, Dave Kilcoyne, Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Sean O’Brien, Peter O’Mahony (vice-captain), Andrew Porter, Rhys Ruddock, James Ryan, John Ryan, Niall Scannell, CJ Stander, Devin Toner, Josh van der Flier
2019 Six Nations fixtures and TV guide
- 1 February: France vs. Wales (8pm, live on BBC)
- 2 February: Scotland vs. Italy (2.15pm, live on BBC); Ireland vs. England (4.45pm, live on ITV)
- 9 February: Scotland vs. Ireland (2.15pm, live on BBC); Italy vs. Wales (4.45pm, live on ITV)
- 10 February: England vs. France (3pm, live on ITV)
- 23 February: France vs. Scotland (2.15pm, live on BBC); Wales vs. England (4.45pm, live on BBC)
- 24 February: Italy vs. Ireland (3pm, live on ITV)
- 9 March: Scotland vs. Wales (2.15pm, live on BBC); England vs. Italy (3pm, live on ITV)
- 10 March: Ireland vs. France (4.45pm, live on ITV)
- 16 March: Italy vs. France (12.30pm, live on ITV); Wales vs. Ireland (2.45pm, live on BBC)
- 17 March: England vs. Scotland (5pm, live on BBC)