Patient's flatulence sparks fire during surgery
Woman recovers from serious burns after laser treatment goes horribly wrong - and other tall tales
Our pick of the strange stories from around the world.
Flatulence sparks fire during surgery
A woman is recovering from serious burns after she broke wind and started a fire during a surgical procedure in Japan. Officials from the Tokyo Medical University Hospital reported that gas released by the woman, who was undergoing laser treatment on her cervix, was ignited by the laser. Flames then spread to the surgical drape she was wearing.
Lost trousers lead to TV thief's arrest
A 25-stone man is in custody after an attempt to steal two televisions. Florida police say Columbus Henderson, 45, was trying to run from a Walmart store in Fort Lauderdale with the TV sets when his trousers fell down. He left them behind and continued his escape. Officers found Henderson's ID in a trouser pocket and went to his home. During the arrest, officers also found a crack pipe hidden in his rectum.
12-year-old leads police on wild chase
An allegedly drunken 12-year-old boy has led police in Austin, Texas, on a car chase that ended with the child crashing and rolling the SUV he was driving. The chase began when officers observed the boy driving recklessly, nearly hitting a cyclist before crashing into a pick-up truck and continuing on his way. The boy has been charged with a string of offences, including drink driving.