US Open digest: Rafael Nadal wins epic five-setter against Dominic Thiem
The Spaniard is now through to the semi-finals but women’s champion Sloane Stephens is out
World No.1 and defending champion Rafael Nadal has won a “great battle” against Dominic Thiem to reach the US Open semi-finals.
The Spaniard beat his Austrian opponent 0-6 6-4 7-5 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (7-5) in a five-set classic that lasted for four hours and 49 minutes, and finished at 2.03am New York time.
After the epic quarter-final Nadal was full of praise for ninth seed Thiem. Nadal told the BBC: “I said to Dominic: ‘I’m very sorry and keep going.’ He has plenty of time to win. He will have his chances in the future without a doubt. It was a great battle.”
In the final four, Nadal will now play 2009 champion Juan Martin del Potro, who secured a 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-2 win over John Isner.
Williams through, Stephens out
In the women’s singles, Serena Williams progressed to the semi-finals with a 6-4 6-3 win against Czech eighth seed Karolina Pliskova.
The American, who is 36, is aiming for a 24th Grand Slam title to equal Margaret Court’s all-time record. She said: “I don’t think I have another ten years of having opportunities to be able to play and win championships. Every match really means a lot to me. I kind of go out there and I just do the best that I can.”
Defending women’s champion Sloane Stephens is out of the tournament after a 6-2 6-3 loss against 19th seed Anastasija Sevastova. Sevastova, who is Latvian, will now play Williams in the semi-finals.
Tonight’s US Open quarter-finals order of play
Arthur Ashe Stadium (seeds in brackets, all times UK)
- 5pm: Naomi Osaka (20) vs. Lesia Tsurenko
- 6.15pm: Marin Cilic (7) vs. Kei Nishikori (21)
- 12am: Carla Suarez Navarro (30) vs. Madison Keys (14)
- 1.15am: Novak Djokovic (6) vs. John Millman
US Open semi-finals
Men’s semi-final line-up
- Rafael Nadal (1) vs. Juan Martin del Potro (3)
- Marin Cilic (7) or Kei Nishikori vs. Novak Djokovic (6) or John Millman
Women’s semi-final line-up
- Serena Williams (17) vs. Anastasija Sevastova (19)
- Carla Suarez Navarro (30) or Madison Keys (14) vs. Naomi Osaka (20) or Lesia Tsurenko